Tuesday 9 October 2007

10 Key Words

1. American Nightmare: This was a phrase used by a politician called Malcolm X (1925-1965) to express his inequalities experienced by black Americans. This relates to my study as my study is about how black people are treated unfairly in society.

2. Biopic: a film which is based on a biography of a real person. This relates to my study as the movie is a true story based on Coach Ken Carter

3. Coming-of-age film: A movie that deals with the difficulties of growing up. This relates to my study as the movie deals with how teenagers are growing up in a rough area which in this case is Richmond.

4. Deviance: Behaviour which is not generally accepted in society. This relates to my study as this is what the students used to do before the coach entered the scene e.g. crime.

5. MTV (Music Television): A TV channel recognised worldwide founded in 1981 and is owned by Viacom. This relates to my study as MTV is the institution for the Coach Carter movie.

6. Realism: a film that attempts to represent the real world. This relates to my study as the message which is passed in Coach Carter represents the real world.

7. Stereotype: A fixed view on someone or a group of people. This relates to my study as the black stereotypes are challenged in Coach Carter.

8. Viacom – A media corporation, it owns Paramount, CBS, MTV and Blockbuster Video. This relates to my independent study because it owns the institution of the movie Coach carter which is MTV.

9. Youth Culture – A range of youth subcultures and how they are judged, e.g. dress, behaviour etc. This relates to my study as it is what the youths in the movie are categorized into.

10. Hero – Male or female protagonist in any narrative. This relates to my study as Coach Carter is seen as the only hero but there is no villain therefore it does not follow Propps theory of a hero and a villain.

No comments: