Friday 26 October 2007

10 key words! again...

1) Epic- a big budget film where there is a big cast and when a powerful theme/message is passed throughout the movie.

This relates to my study as the movie Coach Carter has a big cast where a powerful theme/message is passed.

2) Mise en scene- the way in which the elements and components in the film are set out and included by the camera.

I will be relating to the mise en scene in my study as I will be focusing on the appearance of the characters in terms of their clothing for example their hoodies and caps etc. This relates the mise en scene as it comes under the costume category of mise en scene.

3) Representation- this is where the media construct views of people, events and places in images words or sound for transmission through media texts to an audience.

I will be challenging how the typical representations of black males are challenged in my study therefore this term is vital and should be referred to a lot throughout my study.

4) Teen movie- a movie which is specifically targeted at a target audience of teenagers and addresses a range of teenage interests.

This relates my study as the movie which my study is based on is a teen movie which is Coach Carter.

5) Racism- a form of discrimination based on race, and on opinions that one race is superior to another.

This relates to my study as I will be trying to figure out how much racism is shown in Coach Carter and what kind of effects that racism has on the black people.

6) Objectivity: a text which is being objective and neutral without being biased.

This relates to my study as it is based on the life of Coach Ken Carter and represents the life of stereotypical black youths.

7) White balance: the setting of the camera in order to match the source of light and therefore ensure good quality pictures.

This relates to my study as there are a number of scenes in coach carter that uses this kind of a setting in order to make the characters stand out therefore this term could be used in my study.

8) Attitudes, beliefs and values- this term is commonly used when discussing the audience for media products and the factors influencing the reception of media messages.

This term is related to my study as these are some of the factors which influence the characters in Coach Carter such as the attitudes of the teenagers due to the values that have been passed down to them.

9) Social realism: representation of characters and issues to raise serious issues.

This relates to my study as the topic and message of the movie relates to serious issues in society and this term therefore could prove to be useful when writing my independent study.

10) Method acting: actors really get in to that character and they act as that character physically, emotionally and psychologically.

This relates to my study as the actors in the movie really seem to get into character and act their role out effectively as it may relate to their everyday lives.

No comments: